International Admissions

The experiences, knowledge, and differences represented by international students add diversity to the Heritage campus. If you are considering Heritage Academy, review the admissions procedure below for international students. If you have questions, contact the Admissions Office.

International students must be issued an F-1 Student Visa before they arrive as a student in the United States. Heritage Academy is approved to issue an I-20. An I-20 allows international students to receive an F-1 visa to legally begin school in the United States. For more information, visit the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website at

Procedures for obtaining an I-20

  • Heritage Academy must have a complete application and a copy of the student’s passport before issuing an I-20.
  • Admissions application fee of US $195.
  • Official acceptance from Heritage Academy.
  • Heritage Academy tuition must be PAID IN FULL.  Some additional fees may be required and will be billed separately at a later date based on the student’s academic program.  A $600 per course surcharge (developmental reading and writing program) for students with limited English proficiency will be assessed, if required, after the beginning of the semester.  All International students will be tested and evaluated upon arrival each semester at school.  Based on assessment results, students will be placed in the appropriate English proficiency classes.
  • Submit a letter from your banking institution indicating you have sufficient funds to cover room and board for one year. (If boarding, contact your academy representative for these costs.).
  • Provide an American address where student will be living, or, the academy that will be providing housing.

Once Heritage Academy has necessary documents, we will issue the student an I-20 through the Student and Exchange Visitors Information System (SEVIS:

Procedures for Obtaining an F-1 Visa

  • Read and understand your I-20 and your responsibilities as an international student in the United States.
  • Once you receive the I-20, you will go online to to pay the SEVIS I-901 administrative fee, which must be paid three days prior to your embassy visit. The $200 fee can be paid with a credit card. Your payment receipt should be presented at the embassy when you take your I-20 to apply for your F-1 Student Visa.
  • Contact the United States Embassy or consulate and ask what documents are needed to obtain your student visa. You can visit the US Embassy website for your country to learn more about the documents needed.
  • When the required documents are completed and fees are paid, you must make an appointment with the US Embassy. Getting an appointment with the US Embassy may take some time. Do not delay in making this appointment.

Once you have your F-1 Visa (Traveling to the U.S.)

  • Keep your passport and I-20/F-1 visa with you at all times.
  • You are required to show your passport and I-20 and F-1 Student Visa to an Immigration officer.
  • The officer may stamp your visa and I-20.
  • You will receive an I-94 card from an immigration officer. This card must be kept with your passport at all times. The I-94 card indicates your duration of stay in the United States.

Once you arrive at Heritage Academy

  • Bring your passport, I-94 card, and student visa to school and present to the Designated School Official (DSO).
  • The DSO will confirm your legal entry into the United States through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and SEVIS.
  • The DSO will need to make copies of all your legal documents: I-20, I-94, visa, and passport.
  • Heritage Academy advises keeping all of your visa documents in a secure place.
  • All International students on an F-1 Student Visa must abide by all  rules of maintaining F-1 status and pursue a full course of study at the school and make normal progress toward completing the course of study by finishing studies before the expiration of the program completion date.

Leaving the U.S. for Holidays or Travel

  • When an international student leaves the U.S., he/she must notify the Designated School Official (DSO).
  • The DSO will verify that the student has a continued I-20 and that the I-20 is signed in the 3rd page.
  • Students must travel with their legal documents.