The 2014 Heritage Academy Math Team competed in the South Carolina Independent School Association High School State Math Meet on Wednesday, January 15 in Sumter. The pictured five person team did a wonderful job representing Heritage Academy. We had a fun time and enjoyed the pizza lunch. The math competition included a 50 question multiple choice test followed by a five question speed round for each student. Each student had an hour to complete the test and one minute for each of the five questions presented during the speed round. Calculators were allowed during the test but not on the speed round. The students earned one point for each question they answered correctly on the test and up to three points for each correct answer during the speed round.
I am proud to congratulate the Heritage Academy High Point Winner: Will!
Below is a simple method that will help you more effectively read textbooks.
P = Preview what you are going to read.
Q = Question what you are going to learn after the preview.
R3 = Read, Recite, and Review.
P = Preview what you are going to read
Form an impression about the subjects and concepts you’ll be reading about.
- Look over carefully what you are going to read paying attention to main ideas, subjects and headings — don’t focus on the details.
Q = Question
- Form a question in your mind about what you are about to read and learn.
- Practice — form a question like “What are the main reasons the Roman Empire fell?”
R = Read, Recite, and Review
- Read – Read the assignment.
- Recite – Stop every so often, look up from the book, and put in your own words what you have just read.
- Practice on this page – “R” stands for read, recite, and review.
- Review – After you have finished, review the main points.
- Practice on this page – “I did learn a system to improve my reading comprehension. The main parts are ….”
You Are Finished
After you complete the review step, don’t forget to go back and reread any section that you are not sure of. If you practice this method, your study time is going to be much more productive!
Taking Cornell notes is also a great tool to record main topics and ideas over individual chapters. Please visit the learning center homepage to download a copy for your use.
Heritage Academy - supporting students with a passion. Recognize any of our highly motivated students? ... See MoreSee Less
Posted January 19, 2018 ·
Michael is on a streak! Many congratulations for showing how practice makes perfect! Way to shine and show!! ... See MoreSee Less
Posted January 16, 2018 ·
Great talent in all she endeavors!! Great skill and leadership on the courts proven once again! Congratulations, Madison!! ... See MoreSee Less
Posted January 16, 2018 ·